Monday 15 April 2013

Bad Dreams



Awoken in the middle of the night, sweating profusely and trying to catch my breath. Yes, I had the nightmare again. Why does and how does this happen anyway?

They say that nightmares are simply dreams gone bad. Oh, I could just imagine how many times I have been awaken in the middle of the night because the sheer terror I experience in my dreams.  Sights of creatures so terrible that I tremble with the mere thought of them. Image of powerless and defenseless scenarios flashing through my mind. These nightmares however occurs less often as I grew older. Recent nightmares though seemed more real, carries more weight and I think conveys more internal message. When, I was a kid nightmares were made of characters that I could never equate being poignantly real. What I mean to say is; yes somehow I was scared of them, but it  did they do not seemed to stress me out during my waking hours. The bad dreams that I do have right now though,could constantly plagued my daily existence. In fact, it so moving that I was able to write this piece of poetry entitled Nightmare . 

So apparently nightmares happen during the rapid eye movement (REM) during your sleep. As to the mechanics of how that happens I am still in the process of understanding it and I believe even scientists are still in the process refining their theories about dreams. 

 I was curious though, what causes you to have nightmares? I come up with a short list that I have researched in the net : 
> stress
>lack of sleep 
>anxiety 
>depression
>medications
> drugs of abuse 
> alcohol and drug withdrawal 
>pregnancy
>hospitalization 

I bet there might be other reason out there. So, if you know some post it in the comments below so I can update the information in this blog.

If you want to learn more on the mechanics of dreaming you can watch this BBC documentary. This helped me understand the complexities of dreaming and I bet it will also shed light in your curious minds.









No comments:

Post a Comment